Skip to main content

Assignment #1, Formal Letter

 Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

My name is Gerryl Pay and I am attending your effective communication course. I've previously attended Dunman High School, pursued an International Baccalaureate at Hwa Chong International School, and am enrolled in the University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney), pursuing an engineering degree in civil. On top of academic pursue, I have sought internships at top local construction firms.

I come from a long family history of civil engineers and grew up exposed to the many elements of the matter. Driving past various monuments, my dad would always gleam with pride and point out how they were "built by us". Whether it is a hotel that serves thousands of tourists weekly, a highway that connects millions of commuters daily, or piping works underground that facilitate households, I am proud of what they have achieved. This inspires me to carry on the legacy of our family, knowing what we do connects society in numerous ways they might not even realise. 

One of my communication strengths would be that I love to deliver my arguments or points in completion. I would take into account various perspectives of a problem or idea to deliver a clearer picture when communicating. 


I am confident in expressing myself in a small setting but have trouble addressing a larger audience. I have no qualms presenting to a group of 10 but any more than that, I begin feeling nervous and lose confidence. This results in me losing my train of thoughts at moments, and may find myself stuttering at times. I hope to overcome this problem through the duration of this course.


My goal for this module is to also be able to speak with confidence and convey thought processes in clear, effective ways. Additionally, I wish to be able to apply deep critical thinking when tackling problems.

What differentiates me from others is my ability to adapt. In keeping up with the ever-changing world and its technological advances, I have sought an internship at a global leading web3.0 firm and am at the forefront of blockchain technology. I have a drive to explore modern advances and not limit my scope and thinking to one specific area of expertise - Civil Engineering. I love the quote “Lifelong Learning”, and am constantly looking to expand my horizons in a quest for knowledge in my lifetime.

Regards,
Gerryl Pay


Edited: 27 Jan 2022

Read: Ariffin, Chinwai, Wailian

Comments

  1. The breadth is enough to cover all the questions thus it feels complete but your goals for the module can be further expanded. Overall I would say that the letter was able to communicate the message clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ariffin,

      Thank you for your kind words. I will look to further improve it! :)

      Regards,
      Gerryl

      Delete
  2. Hi Gerryl,

    This letter is clear and straight to the point. I am glad to know that you are as passionate about civil engineering as me. I find it impressive that you are into the tech as well. I believe that's the future! Look forward to working with you in school.

    Best regards,

    Wailian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Wailian,

      Thank you for your words of encouragement. We must definitely keep up with the technological advancements of the world or we'll be left in the dust!

      Regards,
      Gerryl

      Delete


  3. Dear Gerryl,

    Thanks for this interesting and richly detailed letter. I'm impressed by the way you have explained your interest in civil engineering and the connection between local projects and your father's pride in various accomplishments. That certainly eould seem to make the field vibrant for you.

    I'm also interested in your study backgroound, but it isn;t clear to me whether you are still studying in the UNSW, or if that was a past accomplishment.

    You aso do a good job reflecting on your comm skill and your module goals. In regard to your continuous learning, please take note of the following:

    1. verb issues
    -- I will be attending your Effective Communication Course. > future or present?

    2. word form
    -- On top of academic pursues... > (pursues?)
    -- Whether its a hotel... > Whether it is a hotel

    3. use of caps
    -- ...your Effective Communication Course. > ?
    -- ...pursuing an Engineering Degree in Civil. > ?
    -- ...a long family history of Civil Engineers. > ?

    Let's work together on building up your skills this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone,

      Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. My grandfather was a pioneer in the industry and he co-founded numerous companies that have contributed greatly to the infrastructure of Singapore. My father followed in his footsteps, and I look forward to becoming a third-generation civil engineer in the industry too. They immensely inspire me and I hope to continue building infrastructures that serve as the foundation for Singapore's growth in the future!

      I am currently still enrolled in UNSW, and completed the majority of my first year online. I applied for a deferment due to the Covid 19 travel restrictions.

      Thank you for providing valuable feedback on my writing and I hope to continuously learn more on how to effectively communicate through your module!

      Regards,
      Gerryl

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paraphrase Quotation

“Developing excellent communication skills is absolutely essential to effective leadership.The leader must be able to share knowledge and ideas to transmit a sense of urgency and enthusiasm to others. If a leader can’t get a message across clearly and motivate others to act on it, then having a message doesn’t even matter.”                                      Gilbert Amelio, former President and CEO of National Semiconductor Corp According to Gilbert Amelio, former President and CEO of National Semiconductor Corp, the development of exceptional communication skills is critical in being an effective leader. One must be able to impart knowledge and ideas succinctly whilst inspiring others to take action immediately. Without this, a message is empty and holds no meaning.

Tech Report Draft #1

Utilization of Living Materials as Concrete Alternatives in Singapore to Combat Rising Carbon Emissions. Introduction: In alignment with Singapore's Green Building Masterplan, the team aims to place greater emphasis on reducing concrete use in the design and construction of buildings. On top of this, BCA's Green Mark scheme recognises projects that go beyond the regulatory requirements, for example, by using alternatives to concrete such as Mass Engineered Timber. The team aims to implement/introduce mycelium bricks into Singapore’s market, as it has never been used in any infrastructure. Background: Currently, Singapore consumed an average of 11.5 million m3 of concrete per year over the last five years (MND, 2021) and concrete consumption is projected to remain within the range of 10.5 million to 12.2 million m3 per year until 2025. The aim of this proposal is to introduce new cement material such as mycelium bricks. A mycelium brick is an organic brick that is formed from