Skip to main content

Critical Reflection

This course has been both incredibly insightful as well as challenging for me. At the beginning of the semester, I set myself the goal to become more confident speaking in front of a large audience. While I feel I have made some progress and am proud of my growth, there are definitely areas for improvement. Initially, I found it extremely awkward to maintain eye contact with the audience and struggled with maintaining my train of thought while standing in front of an audience, feeling vulnerable and exposed. However, throughout the semester, I have managed to overcome this by transforming my nervous energy into a positive force. Before speaking, I constantly remind myself that I am the most knowledgeable person in the room and all I am doing is sharing that information with the class. In addition, rather than think of myself as feeling nervous, I think of myself as enthusiastic and excited. This has helped tremendously with my confidence and even seems to help me become more focused and organised. Also, I have practiced extensively before each speaking occasion, where I even rehearsed in front of my close family and friends. This helped me feel more comfortable with what I was saying and allowed me to practice maintaining eye contact. However, I feel that there are still areas for improvement, particularly in my stance while speaking. I realised that mobility has to be practiced as well, an element that I had taken for granted, where even though I rehearsed and prepared, I had done it while sitting down. This simple difference made speaking in public while standing up more nerve-wrecking, where I struggled with coordinating my movement, my speech and my train of thought, which affected the fluency of my speech. Moving forward, I will be more conscious about practicing my stance and movement before speaking to ensure that everything feels natural.

This course has also redefined my perspective of what it means to have writing skills. I had previously thought that everyone's style was fixed and unique, particularly because I have limited experience in academic writing and have only essay pieces and reflections. However, I have learnt over the semester that while there are various ways to write, there are also certain rules to follow. One interesting takeaway was learning to write with my own unique style while still varying the tonality required when writing to different stakeholders, where each writing piece differed based on the receiver. I have learnt that writing styles are fluid, and will have to change according to time, experience, content and context, and although I can still find a style that suits me, I cannot limit myself to writing in a certain way. This was reinforced when I worked on the technical report with my classmates, where I observed that everyone had a different way of writing their content, but one was not necessarily better than the other. Another particular interesting aspect that I learnt was that writing and speaking are extremely different. I noticed this as I was preparing for the final presentation, where I could not easily transfer the content from the report to my script, even though I had written both. I found certain sentences natural to write but awkward to speak and had to make certain adjustments to my script. Moving forward, I will also be conscious about this aspect, whether I have to share my content verbally or in a written form will drastically affect the way that I should prepare.

Overall, I have definitely gained a lot from this course, which has helped me improve both my verbal and written communication skills. Looking towards the future, I will continue to practice the skillsets that have been taught and continue to work on myself as a speaker, writer and critical thinker.  


Comments

  1. Thank you, Gerryl,for this well organized, well conceived critical reflection. I appreciate that you considered both assignment areas in depth while focusing on various aspects of the work you did, the challenges you faced and the skills achieved. You have also presented multiple takeaways and looked to the future. In addition, you've written with fine fluency.

    I wish you the best as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment #1, Formal Letter

 Dear Professor Brad Blackstone, My name is Gerryl Pay and I am attending your effective communication course. I've previously attended Dunman High School, pursued an International Baccalaureate at Hwa Chong International School, and am enrolled in the University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney), pursuing an engineering degree in civil. On top of academic pursue, I have sought internships at top local construction firms. I come from a long family history of civil engineers and grew up exposed to the many elements of the matter. Driving past various monuments, my dad would always gleam with pride and point out how they were "built by us". Whether it is a hotel that serves thousands of tourists weekly, a highway that connects millions of commuters daily, or piping works underground that facilitate households, I am proud of what they have achieved. This inspires me to carry on the legacy of our family, knowing what we do connects society in numerous ways they might not even

Paraphrase Quotation

“Developing excellent communication skills is absolutely essential to effective leadership.The leader must be able to share knowledge and ideas to transmit a sense of urgency and enthusiasm to others. If a leader can’t get a message across clearly and motivate others to act on it, then having a message doesn’t even matter.”                                      Gilbert Amelio, former President and CEO of National Semiconductor Corp According to Gilbert Amelio, former President and CEO of National Semiconductor Corp, the development of exceptional communication skills is critical in being an effective leader. One must be able to impart knowledge and ideas succinctly whilst inspiring others to take action immediately. Without this, a message is empty and holds no meaning.

Tech Report Draft #1

Utilization of Living Materials as Concrete Alternatives in Singapore to Combat Rising Carbon Emissions. Introduction: In alignment with Singapore's Green Building Masterplan, the team aims to place greater emphasis on reducing concrete use in the design and construction of buildings. On top of this, BCA's Green Mark scheme recognises projects that go beyond the regulatory requirements, for example, by using alternatives to concrete such as Mass Engineered Timber. The team aims to implement/introduce mycelium bricks into Singapore’s market, as it has never been used in any infrastructure. Background: Currently, Singapore consumed an average of 11.5 million m3 of concrete per year over the last five years (MND, 2021) and concrete consumption is projected to remain within the range of 10.5 million to 12.2 million m3 per year until 2025. The aim of this proposal is to introduce new cement material such as mycelium bricks. A mycelium brick is an organic brick that is formed from